Image: Health Care Workers Speak Out On Why They Would Rather Lose Their Jobs Than Take A COVID-19 Vaccine
Related: Scientist Whose Wife Was Injured By COVID Vaccine Tells FDA: ‘Please Do Not Give This To Kids’
By Katabella Roberts – The Epoch times
An inexpensive antidepressant drug has been found to reduce the risk of hospitalization in high-risk adults recently diagnosed with COVID-19 by over 30 percent, according to a study published in The Lancet Global Health.
The study, titled, “Effect of early treatment with fluvoxamine on risk of emergency care and hospitalisation among patients with COVID-19: the TOGETHER randomised, platform clinical trial,” was published on Oct. 27.
Fluvoxamine is an FDA-approved drug that belongs to a group of medicines known as serotonin reuptake inhibitors (SSRIs).
It works by increasing the activity of serotonin—a key hormone that stabilizes an individual’s mood and feelings of well-being—in the brain and is typically used to treat obsessive-compulsive disorder (OCD) and depression, according to the National Institutes of Health (NIH).
The drug is also thought to have the ability to reduce inflammation, although further studies are required to determine this.
Researchers in Brazil analyzed 1,497 high-risk symptomatic Brazilian adults confirmed positive for SARS-CoV-2, including patients from 11 clinical sites across the country with a known risk factor for progression to severe disease.
Of the nearly 1,500 patients, 741 patients were prescribed 100 mg of fluvoxamine twice daily for 10 days and 756 were given a placebo.
Of those participants given the drug, 79 (11 percent) needed to be hospitalized for medical care compared to 119 (16 percent) in the placebo group.
Researchers said their analysis showed the drug cut the risk of hospitalization by 32 percent overall. Only one patient died while taking fluvoxamine, compared with 12 who died while on the placebo.
A 10-day course of fluvoxamine costs approximately $4, researchers said.
“Treatment with fluvoxamine (100 mg twice daily for 10 days) among high-risk outpatients with early diagnosed COVID-19 reduced the need for hospitalisation defined as retention in a COVID-19 emergency setting or transfer to a tertiary hospital,” researchers wrote.
The study noted that 84 participants stopped taking fluvoxamine and 64 participants stopped taking the placebo owing to issues of tolerability. Fluvoxamine can have side effects which include nausea, diarrhea, indigestion, insomnia, and drowsiness, as per NIH.
“Given fluvoxamine’s safety, tolerability, ease of use, low cost, and widespread availability, these findings might influence national and international guidelines on the clinical management of COVID-19,” researchers wrote.
“Fluvoxamine is widely available but is not on the WHO Essential Medicines List, whereas a closely related SSRI, fluoxetine, is on the list. It is now crucial to establish whether a class effect exists and whehese (whether these) drugs can be used interchangeably for COVID-19,” researchers added.
Researchers also noted that the study focused primarily on unvaccinated patients and that further studies are needed to establish the drug’s effects among vaccinated populations.
Researchers have shared their results with NIH, which publishes treatment guidelines, and are hoping for a recommendation from the World Health Organization (WHO), U.S. News & World Report reported.
Without corruption there would be no Covid …!
- Fully Vaccinated Are Suffering Far Higher Rates Of Infection
- NYC Firefighters Union Tells Members To Defy Vaccine Mandate; NYPD Union Loses Bid To Halt
- Alaska Railroad rescinds vaccine mandate for employees
- Danish Health Minister Threatens To “Shut Down Society” If More People Don’t Get Vaccinated
- Unvaccinated People To Be Banned From Berlin Christmas Markets
- An Iranian Doctor Tells How The Government Is Covering Up COVID Deaths
- To fix COVID, start with fixing politically correct medicine
- FDA Committee Members Reviewing Pfizer Vaccine For Children Have Worked For Pfizer, Have Big Pfizer Connections
- Biden’s COVID Nightmare – One-Third of US Military Are Still Not Fully Vaccinated
- Eight Wise Doctors And A Glimmer Of Hope On Covid
- New Fact-Based Covid Website Launched
- Identity Politics & Getting People To Trust The Vaccine
- Southwest Airlines Chairman’s Actions with the COVID Vaccine Show Maybe He Doesn’t Care About Company’s Reputation After All
- Paralysis of Hospital Care for COVID-19
- “Shrink The World’s Population”: Secret 2009 Meeting Of Billionaires
- Dr Vladimir Zelenko: “I Am A Conspiracy Realist”
- HOT MIC: Parents Call For Resignation After Unhinged California School Board President Caught Saying “F*ck You” to A Concerned Parent After They Questioned Mask and Vaccine Mandates for Children
- WI School and Police Say No Laws Were Broken in Case of BLM Supporting Special Ed Teacher Who Taped Mask to Student’s Face
- Mouthwash, Gargle & Nasal Spray Cuts Viral Load In COVID Patients
- SICK, EVIL PEOPLE: Buried in FDA Hearing the Editor-in-Chief of NEJM, Dr. Eric Rubin Says, “We’re Never Going to Learn About How Safe It Is Unless We Start Giving It”
- FDA Panel Backs Pfizer COVID Shot For Kids “To Learn How Safe This Is”
- What Questions Must We Ask Concerning COVID Vaccinations for Children?
- Harvard Professor: Children Shouldn’t Get COVID-19 Vaccines
- 10 Red Flags In FDA’s Approval Of Pfizer’s Plan To Jab Young Kids
- Another Bay Area In-N-Out Burger Location Shut Down by ‘Health Department’ For Refusing to Check Vax Passports
- AG Merrick Garland Sent HELICOPTER and the Feds to Intimidate Parents at Fairfax County School Board Meeting
- 70 Percent of COVID-19 Deaths Both in Sweden and UK in September Were “Fully Vaccinated”
- Former CDC Director Robert Redfield Claims More Than 40% COVID-19 Deaths in Maryland Were Fully Vaccinated
- CDC Now Says Immunocompromised People Can Get FOURTH Covid Jab
- Doctor Brags on Social Media About Letting Her 4-YEAR-OLD CHILD Be Used as a Human Guinea Pig for Vaccine Testing
- Dr. Martin Kulldorff: Hospitals Should Hire Nurses with Natural Immunity—Not Fire Them
- Western Australia: McGowan’s vax mandate dilemma
- Florida Now Has the LOWEST Rate of New Covid Cases Per Capita in The Nation – State Has Remained Open With No Mandates, No Masks, and Almost No Restrictions
- ‘Your papers, please’: Feds announce plans requiring fliers to show COVID documents
- Instagram Censors Popular Animal Rescuer for Slamming Fauci Over COVID Vaccine Testing on Sanctuary Primates
- CDC Travel Announcement: CDC Quarantine Officers Will Now Spot-Check Travelers for Compliance to Rules
- Marjorie Taylor Greene Introduces Bill To Fire Fauci
- New Data: Covid Case Rates Among The ‘Fully Vaccinated’ Are Now Higher Than The ‘Not Vaccinated’
- “America is the Land of the Free” – Boxing Legend Floyd Mayweather Backs Kyrie Irving’s Stance Against COVID Vaccine
- Corrupt Dr. Birx Claims President Trump Could Have Done More with COVID Crisis – Dr. Atlas Claims She’s Trying to Re-write History