- Alicia Machado, from Venezuela, was Miss Universe in 1996 when Donald Trump bought the franchise for the contest
- She was spoken about at Monday night debate by Hillary Clinton who told how Donald Trump had called her ‘Miss Piggy’ because of weight gain
- But reports from the time have surfaced which reveal questions over her background in Venezuela
- Court documents in 1998 revealed she was accused of driving her boyfriend from the scene of a murder attempt – at a woman’s funeral
- A judge also claimed on national television that she threatened his life
- Unknown if Clinton campaign vetted Machado, 39, before debate and conference call with press on Tuesday which was almost all in Spanish
The former Miss Universe at the center of a bitter exchange in Monday’s presidential debate was accused of aiding a would-be murderer and threatening to kill a judge, it has emerged.
Alicia Machado was named by Hillary Clinton as having been shamed for her weight in 1996 by Donald Trump, when she was Miss Universe and he bought the beauty contest, by being called ‘Miss Piggy’ when she gained weight.
The then Miss Venezuela was photographed with Trump at a gym as he spoke about how she ‘loves to eat’, and she also claimed he mocked her Latino accent, calling her ‘Miss Housekeeping’.
On Tuesday Machado launched her own attack on the Republican candidate, accusing him of abuse and ‘stupid things’.
‘Fat-shamed’: Machado claimed that she felt humiliated when she was photographed exercising at a gym with Trump watching. He said Tuesday that ‘she gained a massive amount of weight’
But now two Associated Press reports from 1998 have revealed the Machado was accused of aiding attempted murder and threats to kill in Venezuela. DailyMail.com has asked the Clinton campaign whether they knew about the accusations, which do not appear to have ended in conviction, before the candidate spoke about her at the debate. The campaign also organized a conference call for reporters on Tuesday with the now 39-year-old actress, in which she spoke almost exclusively in Spanish to continue the attacks on Trump. The troubling details of what Machado was accused of emerged after she had reigned as Miss Universe in 1996.