In another disgusting example of the left playing politics with national security, State Department flunkies are reportedly pushing to admit as many refugees as possible from the list of high-terror-threat countries included in President Donald Trump’s temporary entry restriction order (and compiled under the Obama administration, by the by).
The Washington Times reported:
The State Department has more than doubled the rate of refugees from Iraq, Syria and other suspect countries in the week since a federal judge’s reprieve, in what analysts said appears to be a push to admit as many people as possible before another court puts the program back on ice.
A staggering 77 percent of the 1,100 refugees let in since Judge James L. Robart’s Feb. 3 order have been from the seven suspect countries. Nearly a third are from Syria alone — a country that President Trump has ordered be banned altogether from the refugee program. Another 21 percent are from Iraq. By contrast, in the two weeks before Judge Robart’s order, just 9 percent of refugees were from Syria and 6 percent were from Iraq.
Numbers weren’t available on the effects of the broader travel ban, but 1,110 refugees were admitted in the days since the program was restarted — and of those, 849 were from the seven danger countries the president singled out. A whopping 346 were from Syria alone, and another 232 were from Iraq.
The surge has also meant a major jump in the number of self-identified Muslims admitted: 64 percent of the new batch of refugees are from some sect of Islam, compared to just 31 percent in the first weeks of the Trump administration.
Jessica Vaughan, policy studies director at the Center for Immigration Studies, discussed the disturbing move:
“There’s no doubt in my mind they would be doing whatever they could to get people in before something changes because, from their perspective, their motivation is to resettle these folks. It would not be the first time that State Department officials have prioritized facilitating someone’s entry to the United States over security concerns.”
Rosemary Jenks, government relations manager at Numbers USA, also expressed that this move appears to be a push to bring in as many refugees as they can until a further ruling comes down.
“It would appear, based on the numbers, that there is an effort within the refugee resettlement program to rush in as many of the nationals of these seven countries as possible before a ruling is made on the TRO,” Jenks said.
The State Department gave a statement to the Washington Times explaining the surge via a claim that they were focusing on “rescheduling those whose travel had been suspended the previous week.”
Uh-huh, sure. Wouldn’t it be nice if U.S. institutions focused on the safety and needs of Americans first? That would be a refreshing change. That’s what Trump is trying to do, but he’s coming up against a lot of people who don’t put Americans first.
'Immigration Ban Is One Of Trump's Most Popular Orders So Far' pic.twitter.com/wAelwuQ4BE
— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) February 8, 2017