Image: Cold Wave Grips East Asia, Felling All-Time Snowfall Records Across Japan; Historic Snow In Moscow; + Christmas Freeze: Extreme Cold/Snow To Blast North America Over The Holidays
Written by Martin S. Orbyd via Principia Scientific International
The idea of ‘man-made climate change’ is described with the hypothesis called the greenhouse effect.
It is the greenhouse effect that describes how increased saturation of greenhouse gases in the atmosphere should increase the temperature at the Earth’s surface.
The greenhouse effect is thus the basis for calling ‘climate change’ man-made. The IPCC’s report from 2013, chapter 1, page 126, “The Physical Science Basis” describes the greenhouse effect as follows:
“The longwave radiation (LWR, also referred to as infrared radiation) emitted from the Earth’s surface is largely absorbed by certain atmospheric constituents—water vapor , carbon dioxide (CO2), methane (CH4), nitrous oxide (N2O) and other greenhouse gases (GHGs); see Annex III for Glossary—and clouds, which themselves emit LWR in all directions.
The downward directed component of this LWR adds heat to the lower layers of the atmosphere and to the Earth’s surface (greenhouse effect).”
It is claimed by the IPCC that downward heat radiation (The downward directed component of this LWR) from the atmosphere adds heat to the lower atmospheric layers and to the Earth’s surface.
This is the basic principle of the greenhouse effect as described by the IPCC. The greenhouse effect is the basic science (The Physical Science Basis) in the IPCC’s computer climate models.
It is indisputable that sunlight is converted into infrared heat (LWR) at the Earth’s surface and that this heat is transferred to the atmosphere.
But the claim that heat is transferred from the atmosphere to the Earth’s surface, where it came from, reveals a misunderstanding of heat as a concept.
The claim is contrary to the Second Law of Thermodynamics, which states that heat transfer always takes place from hot to cold:
“The second law of thermodynamics asserts that heat cannot move from a reservoir of lower temperature to a reservoir of higher temperature in a cyclic process.”
“..a cyclic transformation whose only final result is to transfer heat from a body at a given temperature to a body at a higher temperature is impossible.” (Encyclopaedia Britannica)
A substance cannot heat its own heat source in a cyclic process. You can only heat a substance with a substance that is warmer.
You cannot heat a substance with a substance that is colder.
The Earth’s surface is the atmosphere’s heat source, and is therefore necessarily warmer than the atmosphere.
The atmosphere cools the Earth’s surface because heat is transferred from the Earth’s surface to the atmosphere and not the other way around.
The atmosphere cannot raise the temperature of the earth’s surface further than the temperature given by the light of the sun.
Science’s noblest task is to describe reality, using the laws of physics, mathematics and empiricism.
The greenhouse effect (as described by the IPCC) is not within the limits of what the laws of physics allow.
The greenhouse effect describes a process that cannot take place in reality, and has therefore never been observed experimentally or in the Earth’s atmosphere.
There is no valid justification in the scientific literature for why ‘climate change’ should be man-made.
From last week:
- Snow Continues To Build In Moscow; 1-Meter (3.3-Ft) Buries Kazakhstan City In 30-Hours; Tasmania’s Coldest December Day In 50-Years; UK Met Office Escalates Snow/Ice Warnings; + America’s Historic Arctic Blast Draws Nearer
- China Approaches -50C (-58F); Record Cold In The Dominican Republic; Summer Snow Down Under, Another 12 *Monthly* Low Temp Records Felled; + The Sun Is Crackling With M-Flares
- Record Cold Caribbean; Colder-Than-Average Novembers For Brazil And Paraguay; State Of Victoria Just Set Its Coldest Summer Temp Ever; UK Freeze Breaks Records; + Ferocious Arctic Blast On Course To Slam U.S.
- Carbon isn’t making the planet hotter. The sun is making it cooler
- No evidence for BBC claim that Churchill is simply getting too warm for polar bears
- Data shows there’s no climate catastrophe looming – climatologist Dr J Christy debunks the narrative